Monday, February 15, 2010

2009 Performances by Actresses up for Oscar

I've been sitting here for about 10 minutes trying to figure out which subject to talk about? I have a couple of ideas. Then I realize, just start typing, you'll have the opportunity to write about each of them.

Today I'm going into judging an actresses performance. I have a couple of friends at work who are into film as well. We're always talking (sometimes heatedly) about what each of us has seen recently and what we thought about the acting, writing and/or directing. One of those friends in particular (I'll call him Joe) is a fanatic for Meryl Streep. She can do no wrong. He believes that she IS the greatest actress that has EVER graced the screen. Don't get me wrong. Meryl Streep is the greatest living screen actress we have still working today. But even she admits that her track record can be over-rated. ("She-Devil," "Music Of The Heart" (which she receive an Oscar nomination) and "River Wild?") Every time she comes out with a new film "Joe" starts raving, "This is it!! She's going to be nominated again this year!" Well, this year Ms. Streep did put out two fine performances. My favorite being from "Julie & Julia" giving her an unprecedented 16th nomination. She did do a great job portraying Julia Childs. So this year "Joe" I'll grant that Ms. Streep's nomination is warranted. But was it THE best?

Meryl's greatest threat for bringing home the Oscar for best actress though this year, Sandra Bullock from the film "The Blind Side." I enjoyed this film very much. A nice, inspiring film. Do I think that Sandra Bullock gave one of her better performances as an actress, yes. Do I think that she took a chance and pushed herself someplace completely out of character and deserves to win, no. I think what makes "The Blind Side" succeed is the whole package. The writing, directing and acting. The director, John Lee Hancock, did his job and reigned Ms. Bullock in from her usual mugging for the camera performances to fit the needs of the film. So my admiration doesn't go to Ms. Bullock as much as it goes to Mr. Hancock.

The same could be said for Lee Daniels, the director of the film "Precious" and his actresses. I finally had the opportunity to see the film recently and WOW, what a movie!! I realize that Mo'Nique is only up for a supporting award but she gave (what I thought) was the finest performance by ANY actress this year. But "Joe" thinks that it's a joke that she's even nominated. Have you seen this film?? I didn't even recognize her in the opening minutes of the movie. Here is an actress that has up until now played goofy, slapstick comedy. Now she finds a director that redirects her energy and pushes her to a place that I don't think that she even realized she could go as a performer. What a difference!

For me, it all comes down to expectations. If you're Meryl Streep, I expect you to bring your "A" game. You're Meryl Streep. Most likely the film is being made because you're Meryl Streep. Sandra Bullock, great job. Think about taking some cues from Mo'Nique. Find a part that pushes you outside the safety of your warm, fuzzy, comedic box. You're a big enough star that your career can handle the change. Mo'Nique, I'll be pulling for your on Oscar night. Your performance left me with my mouth wide open. Truly remarkable. "Joe," it's your kind of thinking that's been holding the Academy Awards back for a long time now. That's why they have the lifetime achievement award. No edge. (unless it's in the screenplay category.) But that's the subject for another time.

No comments:

Post a Comment